Aljazeera

Egypt launches strikes in Libya after Minya attack

Air raids target camps near Derna where armed men responsible for deadly Minya attack are alleged to have trained.

Egyptian air force planes have carried out six strikes directed at camps near Derna in Libya, where armed men responsible for a deadly attack on Christians are believed to have trained, Egyptian military sources say.

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi announced on Friday that he had directed strikes against what he called “terrorist camps”, declaring in a televised address that states that sponsored terrorism would be punished.

“Egypt will never hesitate to strike terror camps anywhere … if it plans attacking Egypt whether inside or outside the country,” Sisi said.

Earlier on Friday, at least 28 Coptic Christians were killed and dozens more wounded by armed men who attacked them while they were travelling to a monastery in Egypt’s Minya province.

The Christians were headed to the Saint Samuel Monastery, located outside Minya city, about 220km south of the capital Cairo, when the masked attackers, who came in three pickup trucks, opened fire of them before fleeing the scene.

Egyptian security and medical officials told the Associated Press news agency that of the 28 dead, many were children.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Al Jazeera’s Mahmoud Abdelwahed, reporting from the Libyan capital Tripoli, said that residents of Derna “are very angry” about the air strikes.

“Sources on the ground said the six locations targeted by Egyptian war planes are civilian areas and populated districts inside the city.

“They said that only civlian properties like houses, farms and vehicles have been damaged,” he said.

Our correspondent said that in the last two years, Egyptian war planes have carried out several strikes on the city, including in February 2015 and March 2016, which killed women and children.

Residents in Derna said that Egypt’s air strikes targeted civilian areas of the city [Al Jazeera]

Repeatedly targeted

Egypt’s Christian minority, which makes up about 10 percent of the country’s population, has repeatedly been targeted by armed groups.

In April, at least 45 people were killed and more than 100 wounded in two separate suicide bomb attacks on churches in the cities of Tanta and Alexandria during Palm Sunday ceremonies.

The attacks were claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group.

Following the Palm Sunday bombings, Sisi declared a nationwide three-month state of emergency.

A bombing at Cairo’s largest Coptic cathedral killed at least 25 people and wounded 49 in December 2016, including many women and children.

Source: Al Jazeera and news agencies

Middle East Egypt ISIS

0 Comments Post your own or leave a trackback: Trackback URL

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: